Where are all the Japanese indies?

There needs to be more Japanese indie-developers, and not on mobile. I hope NS can entice some of them to develop for it, because I love Japanese games. I grew up with them, I like the art-directions in them, and I agree with them in what makes a game fun.

I, as a console-gamer growing up in the '80s and '90s, primarily played Japanese games because the consoles post-NES were mostly Japanese, and most of the best games were Japanese. The worst games were usually licensed games made by Western developers. The best arcade-games were also Japanese.

I preferred the edgier art of Japanese games over the more rounded look of Western games. Cartoons in Japan were created for all ages. Cartoons in America were created primarily for children, and it shows. Although this is slowly changing with the rise of anime in the West, cartoon-like art by Western devs still looks too childlike to appeal to me.

A lot of indie games nowadays have a gimmick they invent, that they will explore for the entirety of a game, but that doesn't appeal to me. I miss the simplicity of shooting everything in sight, or getting to the end of a level without having to worry about backtracking through a giant, interconnected map. I miss the old arcade-like design of games.

There are so many Western indies and they're objectively good, but subjectively I can not fully appreciate them.


There are many people excited about NS's indie-support, and I cautiously am as well, but if the market had more Japanese developers like Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya, I would be exponentially more excited.

I urge you, Nintendo, to court more Japanese indie-developers, and I urge you, Japanese indie-developers to give platforms other than smartphones a chance, specifically NS. Thank you, and have a great day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101