I don't like Super Mario Odyssey



Of course, I haven't even played it yet, but as it looks right now, it is almost what I wanted in a Mario-game, but not quite.

EAD Tokyo has created fabulous games, but they haven't had the same look, sound, and feel of Mario-games before Super Mario Galaxy, when the main EAD-team made Mario-games.

EAD Tokyo's games seem to be a little too happy. If you look at Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, it is far too happy. The music and everything tries forcefully to evoke happy emotions, and it becomes a little much.

The colors they use are also very 'rainbowy.' They don't veer too far from the seven colors of the rainbow. If you look at Super Mario Bros. 3 and World, they use many drab colors and pastels; it's not all just about red, white, and blue.

I am not intellectually opposed to Mario appearing in the real world, but on a deeper level, seeing Mario in a city that resembles New York is not right. Also, I am not fond of 'candy-land' levels in videogames, and it seems like one appears in SMO, according to the trailer. My favorite 3D Mario is Super Mario 64 because it featured an open-ended hub-world, but it wasn't too big. SMO's New Donk City is too big and just feels like an open-world for the sake of following the industry-trend.

There are times when bigger is better, and times when it's not. In the world of RPGs, having bigger towns is not necessarily better. I remember playing Lost Odyssey and entering a big city for the first time. It was overwhelming. This is why I feel that traditional Japanese-style console-RPGs like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger were best in 2D. Your character or party was a relatively small part of the display-area and you could see a lot of the map. You didn't have to rotate the camera to see everything; you just had to explore a little bit to find hidden items and secrets. With 3D RPGs and rotatable environments, things became more immersive, but the quality-of-life for the gamer decreased.

I will give SMO a chance because I'm a fanchild, but I know I won't like it as much as Super Mario 64.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101