"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)



I do not like spreading negativity out there, but I needed to warn people about this device. I bought this for 80 dollars on ebay; I'm not gonna link from whom, because he or she does not deserve more sales of this awful device.

When it works, it works, albeit with flaws. The image produced is sharp, as a component-video signal should be, and the colors are accurate, except that there is a green tint to the entire picture. I've read that one has to open these things up and adjust the 'pots' inside (an electrical term) with a screwdriver. I never really tried doing that or minded the green tint too much, because it's very subtle. What I did mind a lot, was the fact that sometimes, it won't work, and I'll only get audio.

This is a big problem. I wouldn't mind the colors being a little off, or there being some 'noise' in the video-signal, but when the success-rate of the thing actually working is 50%, it's a deal-breaker. I paid 80 dollars for this thing; that's a travesty. I wouldn't expect a device I paid so much for to have such low quality-control.

I read a Customer Review about a competing device and in it, the reviewer said that the AC Adapter that came bundled with said competing device was not providing enough power. I thought maybe this was the issue with my device as well.


As you can see, this device's included AC Adapter outputs 12V, 229mA. I decided to try another AC Adapter that output 850mA. Same result.

I ordered another SCART-to-Component Converter from another company, and should be receiving it next week. Hopefully it will actually work.

Constructive Update:
Get this instead. Here's a fantastic review on it.

Comments

  1. I just ordered a VGA-to-YPbPr transcoder from RetroTek, so your review is pretty concerning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, check out the post here. You may have an old one. I would contact "Fusionz" on eBay.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/74qzrf/retrotek_scbv1p3_scart_to_component_causing_a/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101