How much do review-scores affect people's enjoyment of games?

I understand that high review-scores of a game will urge people to buy that game, but I wonder whether people's actual enjoyment of the game changes based upon the public perception of that game.

I know from my own experience, that I have been disappointed by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, partly because I do not like open-world games, but also partly because of the high review-scores. Hype around high review-scores definitely makes disappointment more likely, and thus review-scores do affect people's enjoyment of games. How about low and medium (let's group them into low) review-scores?

What if BotW got 7s and 8s? It would definitely have been prejudged by many people. Many people would have skipped the game entirely. There would have been people saying things like "I've been a Zelda-fan my whole life, and so I will give this game a shot."

If BotW got low review-scores, would people be looking for flaws while they play? Do high review-scores make people more rose-tinted about a game while they're playing it? Do they, instead of looking for flaws, look for reasons why it's so great? I have to wonder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101