The Safe World of Retro Games

The future world of videogames, especially in Nintendo-ecosystems, is kind of scary. There is so much uncertainty, so much new hardware coming out, and so much money to spend. There are so many new games coming out, but that only means more chance for disappointments. It's so much nicer and comfier in the world of retro.

On the latter half of 2016, with Wii U dying a slow death, I turned to retro to fill the void, and I was rewarded handsomely. Even with no new games coming out in the past, there is a lifetime of games to discover in the past; it's awesome.

I remember the summer of 2001. The PS2 came out the previous autumn, but I had no interest in it. I mostly played my Dreamcast and PS1, and I still had games I had never played. I was not done with the Dreamcast. Then the Gamecube hit, and now I was in a whole new ecosystem. It was exciting, but at the same time, there was nothing wrong with the previous ecosystem.

Every half-decade, we roll the dice on new platforms hoping for the best, and sometimes we get just that, but sometimes we get rushed games, disappointments, and cancellations.

Sometimes I just want to retreat back into the games of my youth, where all is well and nothing changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101