I confess. I have become a semi-hipster-gamer.


Hipster-gaming. I really don't like how everyone plays the same thing. When everyone starts playing something, I don't want to play it, usually. Resident Evil VII is not something I want to play right now. First of all, it doesn't look like an RE-game; and secondly, it pisses me off that people who have never played an RE-game are into this game. I am a hipster-gamer.

Resident Evil on Gamecube is one of my favorite games of all time but Gamecube wasn't the most popular system of its generation, so I felt a little more special playing it. When you play a game that all the news-outlets are talking about, you feel a little less special. After the initial desire to play a hot new game passes, I realize that I didn't need to play that game anymore, and the Haterade-level in my blood increases. How did this happen?

I wasn't always like this. Even earlier this generation, I was all about playing whatever new game I wanted to play, on whatever platform it came on. Slowly, I started resenting companies for eschewing and ignoring Wii U. At first, I would buy a game but not play it because I wanted to 'support' the developers. I did this with Metal Gear Solid V; I bought it, but haven't downloaded and installed it yet. Eventually I stopped buying these games that skipped Wii U, entirely. I wanted to believe in a world where Nintendo got these games - a world I grew up in. A lot of kids, teens, and young adults these days grew up in a world with Wii, where it was underpowered. I grew up in a world where Nintendo was out there in the race for power and getting third-party support.

I have a simple desire: for Nintendo to get third-party support and regain their confidence and desire to compete on a technological power-level, and not just in innovative controls. People think those two things are mutually exclusive, but they're not. Nintendo can innovate with controls and compete in power. I just think they have lost their confidence and desire to do so, after so many years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101