Optimism, hope, and realism about AAA third-parties on Nintendo Switch

I'm optimistic, hopeful, as well as realistic and doubtful of AAA third-parties on Switch. After Wii U, I shouldn't feel this way. After the small launch-lineup, I shouldn't feel this way. After games like Disney Afternoon Collection skip NS, I shouldn't feel this way. But I do.

There's a feeling in the air. Maybe it's blind hope, or the euphoria brought on by the launch of a new console, but I feel it nonetheless. Did I feel this way after Wii U's launch? Maybe, but I don't think I did as much. PS4 and XB1 hadn't launched, and so there was this dark cloud looming over Wii U's head. Would third-parties abandon Wii U when those consoles launched?

We are in a different situation. We are in the middle of the lifespan for PS4 and XB1. Even Scorpio and PS4 Pro will be backward-compatible, and so games will be developed for the baseline PS4s and XB1s, which gives third-party support on NS a chance.

Maybe I should not be rationalizing or making excuses but I need to. A lot of developers probably don't have dev-kits yet or got them very late, after the October 20th reveal. We couldn't have expected them to churn out launch-games in a few months.

I believe that NS will have a reversal of Wii U's AAA third-party fortunes. AAAs gave Wii U support on launch-day but quickly abandoned it. AAAs gave NS no support on launch-day, but I believe they will slowly support it after finding out how well NS sells. Wii U was vastly underpowered, and while NS is still underpowered, it is not vastly so, and it possesses a modern GPU and CPU.

Am I a fool for hoping? Perhaps, and we may be in the Nintendo-cycle once again. But this time, there may be cause for hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101