Lego City Undercover Impressions (Nintendo Switch)

Although I was a shopaholic on the Wii U's eShop, I never got Lego City Undercover on Wii U. I never wanted to. Playing as Legos never really appealed to me. However, with the current drought on NS, and wanting to give this game a chance, I purchased this physically. I'm glad I did.

I could definitely tell that it ran at 1080p, not that it really matters. It's just a nice touch. Everything technically looks a little crisper and cleaner, than say for example, Breath of the Wild.

Unlike BotW, LCU is a more Western, 'traditional' open-world game with a lot of story and dialogue. I've never played Grand Theft Auto, but I did play Watch Dogs, and it reminded me a lot of that game.

People said LCU was funny, and they weren't kidding. It's not a subtle kind of humor either. They really try to be funny, and most of the time, they hit the mark. There are also a lot of references to movies that probably not everyone will get, but that's all right. I'm just glad when I notice one of these.

Gameplay-wise, I could see how BotW has spoiled the open-world genre, but as long as you lower your expectations and take what LCU is giving you, you won't be disappointed. For example, there are many doors that are locked, and it explicitly says I need to advance more in the story to unlock it. With Zelda, the game doesn't explicitly say such things. With a few exceptions, you can go anywhere, at your peril.

With Zelda, you really feel like you are forging your own path, and creating your own story as you play. With LCU, you feel more like an actor in a play, but that's fine. Not every game has to be the same. If you imagine that you are playing through a cop-movie, then you're golden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101