Nintendo Direct 4.12.2017 Reaction and Personal Impressions/Thoughts




Hey! Pikmin, available July 28th, is not something I'm interested in. I'm teetering on the fence about it. I love the real, 3D Pikmins. If it was on NS, I'd be more interested.

Ever Oasis, available June 23rd, is not something I'm interested in, either. I really love the art-direction and character-designs, but I saw what kind of game this was at last year's E3 Treehouse. It's a life-simulator - building a town and interacting with its residents, with a co-op dungeon-crawler laid on top - two things I'm not interested in. Monster Hunter is huge in Japan, so I understand where a lot of these developers are getting their inspiration, but I am not a fan.

Monster Hunter Stories, available in the fall, is something I am interested in. I'm still on the fence about purchasing it or not, but I find it more visually appealing than the regular Monster Hunters. I do appreciate the gameplay of Monster Hunter, but after a while, it gets to be too much - too much work, too deep, and too difficult. A more simple, turn-based game looks more inviting and playable.

YO-KAI WATCH 2: Psychic Specters, available this fall, is something I'm not interested in. Granted, I've never tried a game in the series, but that's what happens when a developer markets a game solely to children. You might gain the lucrative children's market, but lose the teens and adults.

Culdcept Revolt, available August 29th, is a game I'm interested in. I've never played a Culdcept-game, so I might give this one a try.

RPG Maker Fes, available June 27th, is a game I'm interested in, but if I really wanted to play an RPG Maker, I'd get the latest version on Windows. This would be a nice, creative distraction on 3DS. I would be more interested if it was on NS.

Miitopia, coming this year, is something I'm not interested in. I was going to say that Miis in general are not visually appealing, but that's not true. They look fine on Miitomo because they have a high polygon-count there. Miis on 3DS do not look very good, and this game is no exception. The zany humor is not something I'm attracted to, either. I'd rather they focus on the gameplay, rather than the humor.

Fire Emblem Echoes, coming April 20th, is not something I'm interested in. I still haven't completed Fire Emblem Fates. The character-designs for FEE do not appeal to me, either.

Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, available now, is also something I'm not interested in. I've never been the biggest Kirby-fan. My favorite Kirby-game, if it even qualifies, is Rainbow Curse. TKCD being multiplayer doesn't really help, either.

Kirby's Blowout Blast, available in the summer, is something I would consider playing if it was free, very inexpensive, or on NS. I also thought it was redundant that they mentioned a "new multiplayer action-game for Nintendo 3DS systems" in the Kirby-franchise. Isn't that what TKCD is?

BYE-BYE BOXBOY!, available now, is a game that I'm not interested in because I have the first game, but haven't beaten it. It's just puzzle after puzzle. When does it end? I'm not saying repetition is necessarily bad, if you're doing something you enjoy. I guess I'm saying solving puzzle after puzzle is not something I enjoy, or maybe I'm not supposed to play it for long stretches, in which case BBB should be a free app on smartphones.

There are three new Link-amiibo coming June 23rd. I understand why they're doing this. Link is the best-selling amiibo in North America, but come on. Three Links? Have some courage and variety.

Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin are finally coming on July 21st. When they do, it will close the curtain on Super Smash Bros. 4. I will actually start playing that game again. I always wanted to train against all the amiibo in the game, and soon I will finally be able to.

ARMS is coming out June 16th. Emily Rogers said she was sold on it, citing the gameplay of Punch-Out, the 3D arenas of Power Stone, and the fun character-designs of Overwatch, but the biggest and most important element is missing: controls. Until I play the game for myself, I won't know if it's any good. I know the game is playable without motion-controls, but is it worse? If it controls better with the JoyCons, I won't be happy. I do not want to flail my arms around. I do not play on a couch in front of a big TV. I play NS in front of a computer-monitor. I will end up punching my desk, monitor, or severely cramp myself. Maybe motion-controls work with a Pro Controller, but I don't see how that's possible if you can control each arm independently. ARMS is probably nothing more than a glorified tech-demo of the JoyCons, which they alluded to on January 12th.

Neon-yellow is the newest JoyCon-color. I'm still waiting for jet-black or glacier-white. The new JoyCon-battery-pack seems pointless but I read on reddit or somewhere that it may improve the grip while playing ARMS. These will launch alongside ARMS on June 16th.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, coming April 28th, is a staple of any Nintendo-system, but as a Wii U gamer, it seems too little for the asking-price. Financially, I still understand why they're releasing this game. As a gamer, however - the battle-mode as well as the new characters, should have been DLC for the Wii U version. I'm still getting it because I'm a fanchild, but I know I won't have that same awe-inspiring experience the first time I played MK8 on Wii U.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, coming May 26th, is something I'm interested in. The ultimate deciding-factor will be what the game looks like with the original pixels. Will it be all blurry and disgusting, or will it be sharp and have accurate colors? The HD Remix artwork doesn't work in HD because they use the same small number of frames as the original game. It makes the game look choppy and like flat paper - like Flash-animation. The art-direction is also uneven. For example, Ryu has a smirk when he's standing. Ryu should never be smirking. He's a serious fighter. Only Ken should be smirking.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, coming May 11th, is something I'm not interested in. I gave the game a chance on Wii U, but it wasn't for me. This is good for NS, however, if Minecraft is still relevant.

The Neo Geo Arcade Archives was the most exciting part of the show for me.

Fatal Fury, the seminal game, is coming. I never played the arcade-version, so I'm excited.

Blazing Star, visually, looks awesome. It looks like a fun 2D shooter.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is supposedly coming, and that got me cheering out loud in real life. I recently saw maximilian_dood stream this and it looks very cool. I think I have the Dreamcast-version somewhere in my closet, but having this on NS will be far more convenient.

Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge was misspelled as 'Showdown.' The series has always spelled it as 'Shodown.' It's coming today, which I was worried it wasn't.

King of Fighters '99 is also coming, which is nice. I'm not a big fan of the series. I prefer the cohesive direction of singular fighting-franchises like Garou and Samurai Shodown.

Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors was released on other consoles, so I'm glad it's coming to NS as well.

Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad is coming. The first game released earlier.

Rewatching the Direct, it's amazingly disgusting how quickly the video-editors went through these Neo Geo games, which I'm far more interested in than most of the other games they talked about.

Sonic Forces is coming Holiday 2017. I wasn't sure if the footage they showed was NS-footage. Will it look that good? Will it run at 60 frames per second? Sometimes framerate is important. For Sonic Generations, framerate was very important because it's such a busy-looking game. There is way too much detail in the backgrounds, and it's easy to lose sight of your character, and having a higher framerate on the PC-version definitely helped over the terrible sub-30 fps on the console-versions.

Sonic Mania is coming Summer 2017, but I'm still skeptical. It looks too much like American cartoons, and less like the anime-style they went with in Sonic 2. It also looks too much like the weird stuff they put in Sonic CD, where the backgrounds are dark and there are neon lights everywhere. Aesthetically, I'm not happy with Sonic Mania, but I'm sure the game plays well.

Project Mekuru, coming this summer, is something I was very interested in. IGN's NVC was insulting it, but this was one of the highlights of the show for me.

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star, coming July 25th, is something I'm interested in. I probably won't get it because I had my fill of Dynasty Warriors gameplay with Hyrule Warriors, but I'm glad it exists, if that makes any sense.

Disgaea 5 Complete, coming May 23rd, is something I have already preordered, but I'm teetering on the fence about whether to cancel it or not. Nothing will ever beat Final Fantasy Tactics, but that hasn't stopped me from looking for a game that will match it.

Puyo Puyo Tetris, coming April 25th, is something I'm interested in at the right price, but $30 is too much.

Monopoly, available this fall, is something that got me excited. NVC pooh-poohed it, but I'm actually excited for this game. I haven't played Monopoly in a long time, and I can't wait to play it.

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition, coming this year, is something I'm not interested in. If I wanted to get it, I would have already. I don't think it's a bad game. I tried the special demo on Wii U. The character-designs just don't really appeal to me.

Sine Mora EX, available this summer, is something that I'm kind of interested in. It's a 2D shooter, but I'd rather play Blazing Star.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar, coming this summer, was a nice surprise, and something I'm interested in. It looked like an isometric hack-and-slash game, but the combat is actually in a turn-based manner. I don't know how I feel about that. I prefer the ATB-system over strict, turn-based combat, but I'll keep an eye on this game.

Payday 2, available this year, was completely out of left-field. It's a first-person bank-heist game, but someone on reddit decried it because he or she said that the developers did not support the console-versions, and only the PC-version. It looks like I won't be getting this game.

Namco Museum, available this summer, is a nice little collection of old Namco-games, but the selection seems too small and aged for me to care.

Nintendo Switch docks are getting a restock on May 19th. It will probably be overpriced.

Splatoon 2, launching July 21st, along with the last Smash amiibo and the new Splatoon 2 amiibo, has a new mode, but I don't know how I feel about it. Horde-modes bore me to tears, so I don't know whether Salmon Run will be any fun. I'll probably just play Turf War.

Although it seems like I was pretty down on everything, overall I liked the presentation. It was a lot of information crammed into an amount of time. Even if I didn't care about a game, they didn't dwell on it too long so I didn't have to endure too much

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101