30 frames per second is a deceptive statistic if not taken into context

The poison of the industry - Digital Foundry, often reports that a game is 60 fps on one system, and 30 fps on another. I was thinking about this while playing I am Setsuna. It runs at 60 fps on PS4, but only 30 fps on Nintendo Switch, but 30 fps is a deceptive statistic. Sure 30 is half of 60, but that doesn't mean that a system can only render that game at that framerate. The developers might have locked it to 30 because they think a stable 30 is better than an unstable 60 or a stable 45.

We do not know many things about how NS runs IaS. What is the maximum framerate? What is the average framerate? What is the minimum framerate? For all we know, the game might have run at 60 fps or greater with a few dips, and so they opted to lock it to 30 instead of 60 and have dips, because people seem to think framerate-drops are the devil.

IaS might run at 45 frames per second, but maybe they wanted to increase the image-quality and lower that rate down to 30.

In any case, IaS runs perfectly smoothly for me and I don't care that it supposedly runs at 30. I can't tell during gameplay. If I was just watching the game run intently instead of playing it, I might notice it, and it might bother me then, but I doubt it would even bother me then. More important is gameplay and art-direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101