Super Bomberman R Impressions

Yes, I am late to the party, but I have arrived to it nonetheless. Best Buy had a sale on the game, amounting to $32 with Gamer's Club Unlocked, so I jumped on the deal. It has since risen back to $40 with GCU.

The box itself is one of the most aesthetically-pleasing boxes on NS. It's bright, colorful, and creative.

The vector-based art and animation in the cutscenes did not displease me. Usually when developers go in this direction, it looks like bad Flash animation - they look stilted and limbs movingly unnaturally on an inanimate body, but not here.

The in-game graphics are gorgeous. The 3D models look like they were composed with very high polygon-counts. The lighting and effects in the game are very strikingly impressive. The Unity-engine is certainly capable of great-looking games, even if the framerates in those games are not very high. Super Bomberman R allegedly runs at 30 frames per second, not that I really care, or could tell during gameplay. This seems to be a problem with games built in Unity. Yooka-Laylee on Xbox One, built with Unity, also supposedly suffers from framerate-problems, not that I would care too much in the heat of the gameplay-moment, but it's troublesome in the long run. Will developers abandon NS-ports because of poor performance?

It has been a long time since I played a Bomberman-game. The last Bomberman-game I purchased was Bomberman Online for Sega Dreamcast. This is more of the same. The only thing that shocked me was that if you quit a World before you completed it, it would send you to the beginning of that World; you couldn't continue it midway. I had to replay World 1 because of this game-design flaw.

I have played through the first three Worlds on the easiest difficulty-setting. Hitting the boss with a bomb (before it goes into a mech) is really difficult. I had to basically trap the boss to be able to hit him because otherwise, he makes no mistakes, unlike me. If he can avoid a blast, he will.

Overall, I'm pleased with the whole game. Reading some of the complaints on the internet, perhaps too much time was spent on the graphics, and not the gameplay. Instead of going with a nice-looking 3D look with Unity, maybe it would have been better if they used a fast, easy-to-use 2D engine and worked on adding more modes and content to unlock and play. Personally, I'm satisfied at the moment; I haven't even tried online multiplayer yet. I will try that maybe after I finish single-player.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101