Praising the lack of originality

I was reading this interview of Pocket Rumble by Nintendo UK, and happened upon this question and answer.
NUK: What are some of the other games that have inspired the characters?

CS: There’s Samurai Shodown, obviously King of Fighters and Street Fighter but we also have some interesting ones in there too, like Bloody Roar. We take some Virtua Fighter and Tekken mechanics for a certain character and we’ve even taken inspiration from some modern games like Skullgirls.
This is something I see a lot of in indie-games. They get their inspiration from old games, other games, and try to make spiritual successors to those games. Then, they get heaps of praise thrown upon them as if it's honorable and admirable to not be original.

This really bothers me. This is one of the reasons I respect Nintendo so much, even if I don't like all their games. At least they try to be original.

I was watching a few videos about Daigo Umehara and he said that going solely for the win prevented him from growing as a player and a person, and he would go 70% for winning and 30% for mind-expansion. That's what Nintendo does, and more people should as well. I actually do this as well in Splatoon. This is why I don't like nor play Ranked because that mode is all about winning, and so you have to get really good at one weapon, and I do not like that restriction of freedom. It doesn't make me a better player, nor is it fun.

I'm not saying it's easy to copy another person. It's probably much harder to copy someone else - to try to be someone you're not, than to simply be yourself. People and developers alike need to stop copying others, stop being sheep, stop being passive consumers, stop regurgitating ideas, and be original creators of art and our own destiny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101