Am I getting old? Aversion To Competitive Multiplayer And Losing Interest In Games

Lately, I've been averse to competitive multiplayer. Beating someone else does not give me any pleasure anymore. I used to play a lot of online competitive multiplayer games, and I found a lot of pleasure in winning, and beating people, but now I don't. I feel bad. When I play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now, I play more like a defensive pacifist. I will hold a green shell behind me, but I don't have the desire to, for example, shoot three red shells. Of course, if I get rocked by five players in a row, I will get angry and lash out, but mostly, I find no desire to even win the race.

Am I getting old? Am I enlightened?

Even with single-player games, I have beaten so many, I think to myself, "What's the point of beating another one?" Games don't excite me the way they used to. Why is this?

A lot of it has to do with Nintendo Switch. I was so excited for this thing, but the games on it have been one disappointment after another. Breath of the Wild is probably a masterpiece objectively, but I don't like it personally. I've never loved open-world, sandbox-games. I hadn't played Mario Kart 8 in a long time, so I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It was fun for a while unlocking everything, but eventually the truth sunk in: I already played this game years ago on Wii U. The eShop is also a minefield of depression. There are so many 2D games, spiritual successors, and terrible games like Snake Pass.

Even the future doesn't look promising. Super Mario Odyssey doesn't interest me at all. New Donk City is so gray, it is ugly and boring. Mario looks too happy. I would have preferred if he didn't have a mouth at all like in Super Mario 64. Like I wrote before, another's happiness is my poison, and a videogame-character is no different.

Recently, I canceled all my amiibo-preorders as well as a bunch of preorders of physical NS-games. The catalyst for this was Bank of America requiring $1500 in my checking-account to avoid a fee, as well as a longstanding desire to spend less and appreciate what I have more.

One of my desires is to play games and have fun, but another one is to not be disappointed, and NS has not delivered on either desire.

I am sick of ports, remakes, remasters, and spiritual successors. I hope that someday, NS will provide new experiences for experienced gamers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101