Thoughts on "Corsair Gaming Scimitar Pro RGB Gaming Mouse"

I recently got a new mouse. My Logitech G600's left-click began double-clicking. Later I looked into just replacing the spring on the switch itself, and I found that it's possible, and that's what I'll do next time, but before that happened, I ordered a "Corsair Gaming Scimitar Pro RGB Gaming Mouse."


I do not like the black look of it; I wish it came in white. To compensate, I made the LEDs white, with the profile-indicating light blue.

The click feels very nice. It feels better than the "Teamwolf 8200 RGB Optical Wired Gaming Mouse" I got in the interim. The Teamwolf mouse's click is very high-pitched and requires more effort or has a longer actuation-distance. The scroll-wheel is a segmented, clicky scroll-wheel. It doesn't click left and right like my G600. On my G600, if you tilted the scroll-wheel left and right, you had two extra buttons, but you can't on this mouse. I like how you can adjust the location of the thumb-side buttons. Everything about the item physically is pretty damn good.

The problem comes in the software. I didn't really pay much attention to the customer-reviews on Amazon, but I wish I had. The software, titled Corsair Utility Engine, is a buggy mess. I would rather edit text-files than deal with it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to edit my mouse using a text-file.

They advertise four regions with LEDs, but there are actually five if you include the profile-indicator light. You can set the profile-indicator light to any static color you want, but you can't set the four other regions to have different static colors; they all must be the same static color. You can, however, have them changing constantly so that it looks like a rainbow is throwing up inside your mouse.

The DPI-settings are nice. You can go as low as 100 DPI, which is lower than I've seen elsewhere. This is great for image-editing.

Figuring out how to save profiles directly onto the mouse itself was a nightmare. Basically, you can't change the default profiles and save them. You have to create a new profile, make it a hardware-profile, and then save to device.

The thumb-side buttons are also not usable out of the box; you have to remap each button before you can use them. At first, I created a macro for each key and it worked in Titanfall, but it wouldn't work in Battlefield 4; I was going mad. Then I looked up that you had to use "Remap Key" instead of the macro-function, and finally it worked.

Overall, I will probably buy a spring or a switch and repair my G600 when this mouse dies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101