Aversion To Highly Stress-Inducing Games

I don't know about anyone else, but as I am getting older and wiser, I have been developing an aversion to stress-inducing games.

I've beaten many games and accomplished many things. I think to myself, "What's the point?" What is the point in beating another game, or accomplishing something else? We don't get paid.

In general, I try to reduce the stress in my life. Videogames are generally fun, but when they teeter on the border between fun and stress, I will simply stop playing. It's not worth it.

Of course, I make exceptions. With Sonic Mania, I forced myself to get the seven Chaos Emeralds as Sonic. I had a lot of trouble. I had played Sonic CD's special stage before, but only once or twice, so I was not good at them. I hit a proverbial wall trying to get the third emerald. I replayed that stage more than any other, but by the time I succeeded, I was over the learning-curve and was able to get the rest more easily.

But what was the point? Super Sonic is nothing new. Fighting a few new bosses was cool, but the ending was short and unsatisfying. Fifteen years ago, I probably would have started a new file right away to play as Tails, but not this day.

Right now, I am also trying to beat Tales of Phantasia for Playstation, but the final boss is ridiculously strong, and for the first time, I have to grind. The problem is that experience-points are very hard to come by. There are no items that boost experience-points nor good areas to grind them in. The other day, I ground for about three hours and only got three levels. I still want to beat this game, but I will take it slowly: a level a day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101