Criticising Splatoon 2's Single-Player Mode

When Splatoon 1 launched, I didn't know what to expect from its single-player mode. At the same time, the developers had never developed a single-player mode for the series, either. That's why I loved it so much. It was fresh, new, inventive, creative, surprising, and a lot of fun. This is why I have been so disappointed with Splatoon 2's single-player mode.

It is pretty much Splatoon 1's, but better in some areas, and worse in others. I watched NintendoLife's review of Splatoon 2 and they praised it, saying that each level was longer than Splatoon 1's levels, but that's one of the things I dislike about it. They are too long. There are too many keys to collect and enemies to fight sometimes. With Splatoon 1, it was short and sweet, fun and nonburdensome.

You can play through Splatoon 2's stages with a greater variety of weapons, but some of them are forced upon you the first time through a stage. I really don't mind this because I am good with all weapons, but I can see how other players might be unable to use a Charger, for instance, and become frustrated. Give us the choice, and do not force us to use one weapon over the others.

The collectibles, like the Sardinium and Sunken Sea Scrolls, really bring down the enjoyment of the game because it obligates me to look for them. Naturally, not wanting to play the same level twice, I looked for them on my first playthrough of stages. This slowed the game down tremendously as I looked in every nook and cranny I could see, bringing down the fun I had with the stage at the same time. Of course, I didn't have to play this way. I could have just played it quickly first, and then come back a second time and looked for them on that second playthrough. Overall, I dislike it when developers shove collectibles into games for the sake of it.

In Splatoon 1, if you wanted to play single-player with a Roller or Charger, you needed the amiibo. It is great that you don't need amiibo this time. Playing single-player with different weapons is also great training for people without the skills or confidence to jump into multiplayer. May single-player be improved and live on in Splatoon 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101