I am guilty of fanchildism, and I will change.

Before Wii U, I was a multiplatform-gamer. I had an Xbox 360 before a Wii, and I loved it. In my youth, I was chasing good, fun games more than about being religious to one company or console. I had an NES, then a Genesis, and then an SNES. This balanced gamer-mindset changed after I bought a Wii U.

Why did I devolve into a Nintendo-fanchild? I just did not like how companies were treating Wii U, Nintendo, and its fans like they were second-class gamers. I thusly ignored all companies that ignored Wii U or 3DS. Now with four years of fanchildism under my belt, I see the error of my ways. There were many reasons companies ignored Wii U, and they were not evil reasons. I shouldn't have taken their ignoring of Wii U personally.

Nintendo-fans often call out other fanchildren for not buying Nintendo-systems even though they have games they want. Bayonetta 2 was a big example on Wii U. A lot of gamers wanted to play that game, especially after it received multiple perfect scores, but it was not reasonable to spend $300 on a machine to play just one game. My case is a little different because, I eventually bought an Xbox One and a PS4; after a few games, I simply refused to buy or play any more on them because of my petty fanchildism. Was I being hypocritical for not playing games because they were not on Nintendo-machines? Yes.
The desire to play a game should trump all; fanchildism should not be a factor. I used to see all the bad things Sony would do to Nintendo. They would shamelessly rip off their ideas and make more money off them, and that bothered me, but we have entered a new age of thinking. Let us not think of each other as competition that we need to destroy. Let us think about learning from one another so that we can make gaming better and better every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101