National Identity or Pride, and Why I Don't Have It

I was born to Korea immigrants in the United States of America. I have never felt national identity or pride for either South Korea or USA. For example, when people are going crazy during the World Cup while rooting for their country, I feel lost. National identity is more of a cold, matter-of-fact thing than something I have a hot passion for.

Being born in USA, I am a citizen of it. I can vote and become President, but you wouldn't know it by the way people treated me.

When you don't look European, you are not considered a "true" American. All non-white races have different prefixes attached to their "American" status. Black-skinned people with African ancestry are called African-Americans; yellow-skinned people with Asian ancestry are called Asian-Americans. Why aren't white-skinned people with European ancestry called European-Americans?

We need to change the lexicon of human interaction. We need to stop identifying people by race, or gender, or anything else. We are all one human race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101