Develop a personal relationship with games

When I used to be a religious Christian, I would always hear people saying "You need to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." I didn't understand what they meant back then, but I can definitely see it applying to videogames.

With the explosion of YouTube and Twitch, there are more opportunities to have an impersonal and instead communal relationship with videogames. Instead of playing games, people are watching others play games, and that is fine, but to get the most out of games, you have to play them yourself and have a personal relationship with them.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the best example I can think of. It is a game that you should play by yourself, with no outside help; don't even watch streams. Every time I watch a stream of it, I learn something new, which is nice, but it detracts from my personal relationship with the game. That's why I have stopped watching streams of Breath of the Wild.

Without spoiling anything, I will say that today, I finally got the last horn I needed to upgrade something in Breath of the Wild. It was very frustrating, time-consuming, and boring, but the satisfaction of achieving it by myself was worth it.

I was raised to believe that videogames were a waste of time, so there's always something in my subconscious mind that gets impatient in videogames, even though in real life, I am a patient person. If I spend too much time doing something in a videogame, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

It's been a lot of work trying to unteach these beliefs within myself, but I'm slowly getting there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101