Splatoon 2 First Inkpressions

When Splatoon 1 came out 2 years ago on Wii U, I fell in love with it instantly. For the first few days, I played that game all day; I just left my Wii U on. With Splatoon 2, it is understandable for me to not love it as much. The excitement is gone, the familiarity is there, but some changes have turned me off.

I don't like their choice of font in the game. The chromatic theme of colors on a black background doesn't appeal to me, either. I prefer the bright, pastel look of the first game.

The music in this game can be great. During Splatfest, I loved the Victory jingle. In general, I really love the cute, high-pitched voice of Pearl, but the overall carefree, high-energy, fun-loving nature of the first game's music is gone.

The new stages all feel the same. They have a meaty, slightly raised center, alleyways out the wazoo, and sniper-perches before the center. I think they designed the stages with eSports-balance in mind, and to protect Rollers, but it's not fun. Stages in Splatoon 1 were designed to be fun and unique. Mahi Mahi Resort reminded me of the show Wipeout. You had moving platforms in Ancho-V Games. I'm glad some stages have returned for this game, because they are more fun than the new stages.

I played through the first world in single-player, and I expected more. It's basically just like the first game. I'm sure there are more stages than in the first game, and playing through the stages with different weapons adds replay-value, but I expected more in the way of presentation.

I get bored to tears of horde-modes, but I tried Salmon Run, and it's not bad.

I reached Level 4 by playing Turf War, but my reward was the ability to buy mostly repeated items from the first game.

I am still in love with Splatoon 1. I am not done playing that game, and playing this game proved that to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101