Doom (2016) PC Impressions

I purchased Doom (2016) on PC after I was disappointed in the version for Nintendo Switch. I could tolerate the graphics on the NS-version, but the controls were the things I could not tolerate for very long. I believe that first-person shooters should be played with a keyboard and mouse, just like 2D platformers should be played with a controller. It's just how I prefer to play games.

When I first laid my eyes on the graphics for Doom on PC, I was very pleased. Running at the native resolution of my monitor's 1080p, it was very sharp and ran very fast. Afterwards, when I went back to the NS-version, I couldn't believe my eyes. What I once thought was tolerable was now intolerable.

I am by no means an expert with a keyboard and mouse, but it is far more intuitive and enjoyable to control FPSes with them than with a controller. An average keyboard-and-mouse user will have a far more enjoyable experience than an average console-gamer with a controller. I remember Ash Paulsen from GameXplain saying that he didn't like shooters because he was bad at them, but that's because he only plays consoles. If he played FPSes on a PC with a keyboard and mouse, I am sure he would change his mind.

Doom on NS didn't have the shortest loading-times, but they are far shorter than the ones on PC. I haven't timed them, but I'd say they are around two minutes. Every time you die, the game loads the whole level all over again, so it is a better idea to play on the lowest difficulty-setting and try to never die. Play cheaply and safely, rather than play for fun and try different strategies.

A lot of people see hope for other AAA third-party games when they see and play Doom on NS, but I see huge skepticism and worry. If Doom runs this poorly on NS, I have no desire to play any other multiplatform game on NS. The big-budget 3D games can not work on NS. It is a fact, and one that should be swallowed earlier, rather than later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101