Clearing the backlog

It's ironic that I say this because I wrote about finally getting 120 Stars in Super Mario 64 after over 20 years, but I must say that I don't agree with this whole "gotta clear my backlog of games" mentality.

It perpetuates the disposability of games - that once you "beat" one, they're done with. Games are art, and this mentality also perpetuates the perception that games aren't art, and are instead, products to be consumed.
 
This is not how I enjoy my games. If I just play games to beat them, I can't appreciate them very much. Going from one game to the next, just to beat them, is not a very satisfying way to play. You have to savor them.

The best way to enjoy games is to treat them as precious, as if the one you are playing is the only one you can play. You will try to, for example, get multiple endings in Chrono Trigger because you want to, and not because you have a completionist's checklist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101