Thoughts on "Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy"

"Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy," or Lady Layton, was supposed to be the game that got me into the Layton-franchise. I had dabbled in the first game on an emulator, and I had purchased the Layton & Phoenix Wright crossover, but never committed much time to it. It's not that I didn't like the games; I just got sidetracked. "I will commit this time," I told myself. I then realized a few things that derailed my hype-train.

There is too much boring story and dialog. The puzzles are few and far between. This game is more like a visual novel - one of those dating-sims that are so prevalent on the Vita and Steam.

When you finally do get to a puzzle, you realize that the difficulty in solving them comes from how they deceive you, rather than being a straightforward challenge. The wording of the puzzle will be very vague and deceptive. The picture associated with the puzzle will also be very confusing and deceptive. Most of the challenge is in figuring out what the question is, rather than solving the puzzle itself. This really pissed me off and siphoned the fun out of the game.

I do appreciate having a pretty female protagonist in a game for once, but when her in-game model looks like a character you would make in Fantasy Life; there is too much boring story and dialog; and the puzzles are challenging in the wrong ways; I cannot play this game any further nor recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101