Thoughts on the "SNES Classic Edition"

I preordered my SNES Classic from the UK because I like the original case better. It arrived the Wednesday after launch to much anticipation. I had seen videos and pictures of this thing before, but it really shocked me how small it was. The length of the controller's wire was also shorter than I had imagined. Four feet may be an improvement from two feet, but it's still too short. I had trouble opening the door for the controller-ports. As much as it is nice to have it look like a SNES without the door open, I think it would have been better without the door at all, and the controller-ports where the door would be and not recessed.

As an owner of one broken SNES, a working SNES, one New-Style Super NES (the original SNES Mini from 1997), and one Super Famicom, I have to say that the SNES is a neat little gimmick, but it's not satisfying. I realize now that I would rather play with a real cartridge and real system.

Most of the included games are not pick-up-and-play. They take too long to get going. They are more single-player experiences than fun games. If you look at the games on the NES Classic, you could play most of them without reading an instruction-manual, and have fun. With the library on the SNES Classic, most of them are the opposite. They are long, single-player adventures that require the reading of an instruction-manual, and are slow. They take a long time before they become fun, because you need to sit through lots of text, dialog, and world-setup.

I've come to a realization that the Sega Genesis had far better action-games than the SNES. Contra III is SNES's best run-and-gunner. The Genesis beat it with Konami's own Contra: Hard Corps, and Treasure's Gunstar Heroes. The shoot-em-ups on SNES are all too slow, although fun can be had with these slow, methodical shooters. R-Type III looks better in image-quality than any shooter on Genesis, but the Genesis had technically superior shooters that scrolled faster and had far less slowdown. The SNES had far better RPGs, however; there's no contest there.

When I read how people think that the SNES was better, by far, or very matter-of-factly, I wince. They both had different strengths and weaknesses. If you educate yourself enough, you'll realize that they are incomparable and are both equally great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101