Being a Nintendo-fan is like being in an abusive relationship

Being a Nintendo-fan is like being in an abusive relationship. There are certain needs and desires you might have, but Nintendo completely ignores them and instead gives you things you don't want nor need. Eventually, you justify the games they give you, convincing yourself that you want to play them. If you're a one-console gamer, it's not like you have a choice.

You develop Stockholm syndrome for Nintendo-games. By virtue of playing a game for many hours, you might grow to like it, even if you hated it at first. You start making excuses for them, and lower your standards. I remember when Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash came out for Wii U. People criticized that game for its lack of content, yet I still bought it because I was a foolish Nintendo-fan. I justified that purchase by telling myself I had never purchased a Mario Tennis game before, I wanted to support the developers, and that at least the graphics were amazing. I lost my own sense of consumerism and product-valuation and put a corporation (I had no financial or personal affiliation with) before myself.

The Nintendo Switch was the ultimate proof that Nintendo-fans such as myself were in an abusive relationship with Nintendo. People like SuperMetalDave64, HappyNintendoFan, and I wanted a powerful home-console. We didn't want a handheld nor a hybrid. We knew it would compromise the power of the device, leading to less AAA third-party support. When we found out about the device, we were devastated. You could see it in SuperMetalDave64's face during PlayerEssence's livestream; it mirrored exactly how I was feeling. October 20th, 2016 was one of the most disappointing days in my entire life.

How did we respond? We bought the thing anyway, hoping that our optimism would allow us to enjoy the system. Just like a battered spouse stays in a relationship after his or her spouse swears that he or she will never hurt him or her again, we stayed in this abusive relationship like chumps. I don't know about anyone else, but Nintendo Switch has been the most disappointing console-purchase of my entire life.

Stop letting Nintendo abuse you. Break free. Live for yourself, not some corporation, or the rose-tinted memories of your Nintendo-dominated childhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101