Anti-Cuphead Rant By A Hipster-Gamer

I can hardly describe the emotions I feel when I hear people talking about Cuphead, or watch people playing it live.

For one thing, I do not like the art-direction of the game - this ye old animation-style of the early 20th century. I appreciate and respect the smoothness of the animation, but the character-designs and art-direction itself is something I have never liked. Everything is so round, and every character's eyes are so big and wide-open. It just kind of scares me a little.

The gameplay of the game does not marry well with this art-direction. It feels like a cheap design-decision to just have cups shooting water out of their fingers and have it be a run-and-gun. This game would have been better as a platformer without ranged combat. Having anthropomorphic cups shooting water out of their fingers does not make sense nor look cool. Some kind of non-realistic gun would have been better.

Overall, I do not like games that copy artistic styles from history. It is just lazy and uninspired. Child of Light by Ubisoft also was like this.

It really makes me shake my head that so many people are playing this game, as if it's a brand-new concept or revolutionary. The closest analog I can think of is Alien Hominid, but with better graphics. Alien Hominid was a run-and-gun built in Flash and ported to home-consoles. It was a poor man's Contra, and Cuphead is no different. Underneath the fluid animation is a game that is not a new concept, and people are playing just because it's a new release, was delayed multiple times and so has a lot of hype, and have bad taste and actually like the art-direction.

I have come to realize that people have very short-term memories. Instead of wasting our money on new releases with old concepts, let us replay the games that inspired these new releases. They are superior, and we would save ourselves a lot of money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101