I Still Don't Like Super Mario Odyssey

On March 5th, 2017, you found out why I didn't like Super Mario Odyssey, and today you will find out why I still don't like Super Mario Odyssey.

Thanks to USGamer, one of the costumes from Super Mario Odyssey was spoiled. I was angry for a second for having the game spoiled, but was glad because it helped me realize one of the key reasons why I don't like Super Mario Odyssey: I don't like the way Mario looks in this game.

Mario is too expressive in this game. When I first saw him dancing next to a boombox in one of the trailers, I cringed so hard:
Look at him opening and closing his mouth. It looks bad. Are his expressions too realistic? Is he ugly? He is not cute, cool, or badass.

The costume (that USGamer spoiled for me) fixed this issue, and actually made me want to purchase the game. Visual and aural aesthetics can make or break a game for people. Some people like Sonic CD only because of the music. There is no question that its gameplay and level-design is far inferior to any other Genesis-Sonic, but I guess they love the CD-quality redbook-audio soundtrack of Sonic CD that much.

Maybe I am sick of Mario. He is the prominent mascot of Nintendo and appears in many of their games and marketing. This is why developing new IPs and characters is important. If Super Mario Odyssey had the same gameplay but was a new IP with a different protagonist, I would be far more interested. It never made sense for Mario to have a new gimmick with his cap, being able to do a million new things after "capturing" a million new enemies. Instead, they should have created a character that sensically could borrow the abilities of enemies. Having this ability mapped to Mario is incongruous and uncreative.

I would be happy if there wasn't a new Mario-game ever again. I know that Mario sells games, even if they're no good, but Nintendo's success has been their worst enemy. Stop relying on Mario and other old IPs. Take risks in software, like you did during the NES-era. You will reap the rewards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101