Interesting Words: Prophecy and Prophesy

I was watching Easy Allies' video-review of Dragon Quest Builders and the narrator was talking about the story of the game, and used the word "prophesized." I was confused. "Is that the proper way to say it?" I thought to myself. I proceeded to do a little research and this is what I found.

Did you know that "prophecy" is the noun and "prophesy" is the verb? Also, many people mistakenly say "prophesize" as the verb-form, especially in the past tense as "prophesized." They say, for example, "The prophet prophesized about doom," when it should be "The prophet prophesied about doom."

"Prophecy" is pronounced like "see" at the end, while "prophesy" is pronounced like "sigh" at its end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101