My 10 Favorite Games (Part 2)

Diablo II

I did not fully appreciate Diablo II until I dove into its deep and addictive loot-system. There is something called "Magic Find," and it increases your chances of finding rare items. Just going on Meph Runs (killing a boss called Mephisto) took up a lot of my time. I amassed a large collection of items and kept them in "Mule" characters and separate accounts.

Before the 1.10 patch, this game had great gameplay. If you clicked on an enemy to attack, your character would go up to it and attack. After the patch, it played more like an MMORPG. Your character would sometimes be really far away from the enemy, and miss attacks. Play any patch before 1.10.

World of Warcraft

It is kind of unfair to list an MMORPG as a favorite game because it has years of content added to the game. It is still, however, one of my favorite games of all time.

It was my second MMORPG. My first was Star Wars Galaxies, which I only played because my friend was lonely, and so bought it for me and wanted me to play with him. World of Warcraft was the first one that I bought by myself and wanted to play, independent of any outside influence.

I think about the early days of me playing the game. I created a human female Warrior. I remember Goldshire, and Westfall, and it was so immersive and awe-inspiring. The game was huge. I remember going to Stormwind City and using the Trams.

I stopped playing, but later on, my friends joined and made Horde characters and I started to play the game again. Before they joined, I only played by myself, but playing the game with friends really took this game to the next level. World of Warcraft is by far, my favorite co-op game ever.

Splatoon

Splatoon is by far, my favorite competitive online game ever.

I really love Splatoon's aesthetics. It has a soft, friendly, pastel color-palette. Splatoon 2's color-palette is a little edgier and harsher; I don't like it.

Splatoon's music is also fun-loving, energetic, and inspires joy, whereas Splatoon 2's music is far less memorable.

Splatoon has maps that feel far more distinct, fun, and inspired. They tried all sorts of ideas. In Splatoon 2, they had a single formula for every map and just changed it a little bit and focused on making it balanced for every game-mode and eSports, instead of focusing on making them fun.

Also, in Splatoon's lobby before you enter a game, your character is at an aesthetically-pleasing angle, while in Splatoon 2, he or she is viewed straight-on and it doesn't look good.

Splatoon features Callie and Marie. I miss them. There was no need to get rid of them for Splatoon 2.

Splatoon has a short but sweet campaign. Splatoon 2's campaign drags on and features too many collectibles.

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII was not the first RPG I played, but it was the first that I loved so much that I completed.

I remember the mindblowing opening-cutscene seamlessly transitioning to gameplay; it blew my mind. I thought Star Fox 64 was cinematic, but this was on another level.

I loved everything about the game. The music was amazing. The graphics were also amazing. If you play it for the first time today, you might be offended at the blocky characters, but this was state-of-the-art back then. The prerendered backgrounds had so much detail in them. Compare them to the tile-based maps for RPGs on SNES, and it was a world of difference.

The battle-system was perfect. Active Time Battle is my favorite battle-system. I wish they would go back to it, but that is like hoping for Nintendo to make a powerful home-console that is not a hybrid.

Final Fantasy Tactics

After I had sufficiently played Final Fantasy VII, my eyes had been opened to a whole new world of videogames. I remember User Reviews on videogames.com. There were only about one or two reviews, but they were really high: about 9.0 or 9.5. I remember seeing this game on GamePro as well. I decided to give it a shot, and I didn't really get into it until a friend and I got into it together. It's really interesting how friends can really enhance gaming, even if it's for single-player games.

This game also featured amazing music, crazily deep customization and strategy, and an amazing storyline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101