"Enter the Gungeon" First Impressions (Nintendo Switch)

Enter the Gungeon finally came out for NS on December 14th. It's one of the few indie games I have been looking forward to, so I decided to renege my resolution to forgo buying games until next year.

It's more difficult than I expected. Binding of Isaac is easier to get through a run. I struggled mightily and finally got to the third level, but I haven't been able to pass it.

It's not a simple twin-stick shooter because you need to tap or hold a button to fire, rather than just holding the analog stick in a direction for automatic fire. You also have to reload for most weapons. I don't dislike this mechanic. It is different, adds depth, and challenge to the game. The biggest problem I have is dodging bullets. I almost always dodge-roll too late.

Still, this is one addictive game. I swear to myself that I will play better on the next run, and sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I guess that's what a roguelike is. The randomness of the rooms and the enemies make every run a little different.

There is a progression-system where you can unlock different weapons and items, after which, will randomly appear in subsequent runs. There is no lasting progression-system that stays with you forever, though. Every run, you start from zero, although I read that you can unlock shortcuts to different floors if you don't get hit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101