Subjectivity versus Objectivity

I admit that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an objectively good game, but even after playing the game for over 120 hours or so, I cannot say that I subjectively like it more than say, Splatoon. I have spent over 1000 hours in Splatoon, and I was addicted from the beginning. It was everything I wanted in a videogame.

I think a lot of people shut off their subjective brain and only use their objective one. This can also be viewed in terms of right brain versus left brain. When it comes to videogames, I have trained myself to ignore my left brain that is interested in resolution, framerate, world-size, review-scores, and other nonsense, and have trained myself to embrace my right brain, which is more interested in fun, gameplay, aesthetics, and aural design.

Instead of searching for the "best" game, search for games that make you happy and give you joy.

What is a game worth? It's subjective. It is however much you're willing to pay, how much you think it deserves, and how much you put into a game. A game may have a ton of content and features, but if you find the game boring and don't play it, it's worthless to you. However, if you have a game like Cave Story that has been rereleased 50 times, but you love playing it over and over again, it is worth the asking-price.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101