Active Time Battle - Where Has It Gone?

The Active Time Battle system, or ATB, was a staple of RPGs back in the '90s. Where did it go? Why have games regressed to a pure turn-based battle-system paradigm?

The ATB was the perfect middle-ground between tacticalness, and action. I do not like strict turn-based action, nor a pure action-based system. I actually find the ATB-system to be the most fun, because I do not have to worry about moving around like a bunny-rabbit and just worry about the tactics I will employ during a battle; and the element of time and turn-orders getting jumbled up and/or overlapping adds tension and randomness.

I also liked controlling a whole party of characters, not just one and have the others on auto-pilot. This is why I'm not really interested in FFXV, and I found FFXIII disappointing.

When I think about the games that most greatly utilized ATB, I immediately think of FFVI and FFVII. Especially in FFVII, you could manipulate time and be really creative with the way you played the game.

Please, developers, bring ATB back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Japanese Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad (Controller) Review HSS-0137

"Retrotek SCART to Component Converter" Review (SCBV1P3)

Japanese Model 2 Sega Saturn Controller Review HSS-0101